Review: The Vanishing Game by Kate Kae Myers

THANK YOU TO NET GALLEY AND BLOOMSBURY FOR ALLOWING ME TO REVIEW THIS BOOK AND GIVE MY HONEST OPINION

My rating: 4 out of 5

Synopsis:
Seventeen-year-old Jocelyn follows clues apparently from her dead twin, Jack, in and around Seale House, the terrifying foster home where they once lived. With help from childhood friend Noah she begins to uncover the truth about Jack's death and the company that employed him and Noah.


My Review:
This is a book that will have you thinking and pondering different scenarios even while you're reading it. So much that I, while pondering, just could not put it down. I had to keep going. I had to find out the truth.

Even from the first page I was pulled into Jocey's world. Firstly wondering what had happened to make her sneak into Noah's car and stay hidden rather than let him know she was there. Noah was her and brother Jack's best friend while they were foster kids at Seale House. A house that to this day still gives Jocey nightmares.

But things are quite right when Jocey gets into Noahs car. She's received a letter from Jason December, a code name for her dead brother, and its a name that only Jocey, Jack and Noah know about. Of course, Noah eventually finds Jocey hiding and from here on in the plots thicken and thicken, the puzzles keep coming, and the back story fills in the details as this mystery, and very intriguing suspense story continues.

I did get it (you'll know what I mean) about 80% into the story. And I realised I'd read all the clues but hadn't put them together. The characters from Seale House and all the history suddenly made sense, and the whole story was absolutely believeable right until the final page.

This book is creepy, horrifying, heartbreaking, but equally brilliant at the same time. I can't even begin to think how the author came up with all the tiny details that made this book such an amazing read.

The only reason I'm marking this down a star and not giving it 5 out of 5 is the small paranormal aspect which felt like it was thrown into the story just to make it a little more quirky. It wasn't really necessary, there were certainly ways of explaining such things without it.

Overall, I'm so glad I read it. It will have your mind thinking about the story for days after, and if that happens you know you've read a good book.
You can reach Kate Kae Myers  here:
Web
 Facebook: Profile

Here's the Book Trailer! Enjoy!



7 comments:

  1. Would love to read this book; your review is wonderful.

    I love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to read this book! Fantastic review!

    I'm your newest follower, stumbled upon your blog via Book Blogs! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Claire, You're most welcome! You have a great blog too! xx

      Delete
  3. I just read another review that mentioned it being a creepy read as well. That is the main thing that is drawing me into this story!

    - Jessica @ Book Sake

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jessica, its definitely got that chill factor to it!

      Delete

I love hearing from fellow readers. Write a message!