Review: Deeper We Fall (Fall and Rise #1) by Chelsea M. Cameron



Published by: DRC Publishing
Published on: January 24th 2013
My Rating: 3 out of 5

~~

Synopsis

Two years after her best friend was involved in a car accident that caused a traumatic brain injury, Lottie Anders is ready to start her freshman year of college. Ready to move on. Ready to start forgetting the night that ripped her life apart.

Her plans come to a screeching halt when not one, but both brothers responsible for the accident end up back in her life again.

Zack is cruel, selfish and constantly rubbing what happened to her friend in Lottie's face.

Zan is different. He listens to her awkward ramblings. He loves To Kill a Mockingbird as much as she does, and his dark eyes are irresistible. His words are few and far between, but when he does speak, she can't help but listen.

The trouble is, Zan was the driver in the accident, and now Lottie's discovered he lied to her about what happened that night. Now she must decide if trusting him again will lead to real forgiveness, or deeper heartache

~~

Review:

This is one of those books that gets you thinking. Firstly, the story is so so. By that I mean, yes, its touching and I do feel sorry for Lexie's condition and I pretty much hate Zack Parker from the outset. As the characters start to come together in the book as friends I began to pick more than a few clichés though, and that was disappointing.

Charlotte and Will are twins, and Zack and Zan are brothers. Will's best friend is gay. Charlotte's new best friend, Audrey, is a Harry Potter fan and her other friend from work, Trish, is a little off the wall, Stryker has things pierced and Katie is in adoration of a certain colour. These aren't sidekicks that I haven't read in many other New Adult books and as the book begins to develop I couldn't help wishing for a little more originality.

So, the brothers Zack and Zan were in the same car as Lexie when it crashed. They were all victims of drink driving but it was Zan that was driving. Charlotte blames the brothers for putting her friend through hell and reducing Lexie's quality of life to that of a child. I don't blame her. Her emotions on meeting them at college are of hatred and I can empathize with that. But when Zan, the younger brother, keeps popping into her life, Charlotte eventually gets beyond the verbal insults and has a semi-discussion with him.

All things come to a head when Zack turns on his current girlfriend who is also Charlotte''s roommate. Initially I didn't like Katie but she did begin to grow on me. Charlotte, I think, also felt the same way. Katie has a cliché being obsessed by the colour pink with shallow uninteresting friends of her own.

Zan and Charlotte begin a relationship which the book is mainly focused on. While I was reading the build up I just couldn't seem to get to the guts and glory layer of their feelings. Yes, there was lots of kissing, sighing, biting, nipping. I don't know whether it's because the writing isn't as explicit as a lot of NA, but I just didn't feel it from Charlotte's point of view. Zan, I did get. And then, all of a sudden, we have the ILY's. I thought this was too soon. I do agree that they make a solid couple, but the whole love story part of it wasn't deep enough for me.

I will be interested in reading the follow on books in the series to see what happens to them all but this wasn't a stand out book. The writing is quality though, the pace did drift at times but I'm not knocking the author on her ability in any way, she can certainly write. Hmm, now I'm back to thinking again :)

-CBx




You can reach Chelsea M. Cameron here:


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from fellow readers. Write a message!