Review: Uninvited by Sophie Jordan





My rating: 3 of 5 stars

~~

Synopsis:

When Davy Hamilton's tests come back positive for Homicidal Tendency Syndrome (HTS)-aka the kill gene-she loses everything. Her boyfriend ditches her, her parents are scared of her, and she can forget about her bright future at Juilliard. Davy doesn't feel any different, but genes don't lie. One day she will kill someone.

Only Sean, a fellow HTS carrier, can relate to her new life. Davy wants to trust him; maybe he's not as dangerous as he seems. Or maybe Davy is just as deadly.

The first in a two-book series, Uninvited tackles intriguing questions about free will, identity, and human nature.

~~

Review: 

What's to say about Uninvited? Well, it's a book of two halves. The first half is Davy and her perfect life and how everyone shuns her on hearing the news of her HTS detection. This half tends to be very high school drama-ish, woe is me type of angle. The second half gets very Divergent/Hunger Games-esque. Davy accepts she's a Carrier and has no choice in life anymore. The book does end on a cliffhanger also.

Points I liked. Sean was a cool love interest. However, he did come over as the stereotypical bad boy. Tattoos, dangerous, capable with his fists. He did annoy me with his constant "I can't always be there to save you, Davy." It would have been cool if he'd taken her to the gym and trained with her, therefore, proving to him that she could be capable.

I liked Gil. I hope he has a bigger part in the next book. He was the first carrier person who was nice to her and Davy dropped him like a stone to pay more attention to Sean.

But! I did like the softly, softly approach to the romance. Not full on heavy petting but taking it very slowly and calmly.

The writing is very good, the plot is well paced and the story line is good enough. But it could have been better and would have come across better had it not included lots of clichés from typical YA novels.

What I didn't like. The 'kill gene' they're all talking about could have been expanded and verified to us better. I'm still really not sure how this gene came to being discovered. I mean, after thousands of years of civilisation this society think they can end crime and murder because of this one gene?

I also didn't like Davy been too clean and proper, to begin with. I would have liked her to at least have one flaw to her porcelain perfect perception.

I thought the whole camp idea was off and a little naff, but that's just me! A little more world building could have been included also.

On the whole, though, a book very readable and unputdownable :)

-CBx


Available on Amazon:

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from fellow readers. Write a message!